Thursday, May 3, 2012

Camas National Wildlife Refuge

Since Grandma EE came up for the birthday party we decided that we needed to go on yet another "Staci and EE" adventure! Yesterday we got the older boys off to school, and jumped in the car heading north. Last year when we ventured up to Bannock Ghost town in Montana we passed a sign that said, "Camas National Wildlife Refuge." Of course, we had to check it out.

It is only about 35 miles north of Idaho Falls near the town of Hamer. We had a wonderful morning enjoying the wildlife. Other then the fact that there were 40 mph wind gusts, we had such a fantastic time. It is neat to live so close to such amazing places.

We joined in with an elementary school class trip for the first 45 minutes or so and learned all about the refuge and how it came to be. Poor Landon was bored out of his mind. We parted ways with the school group and started doing some birding on our own.


 As we walked up towards some big trees we heard a loud noise, looked up and about 15 feet above our heads a HUGE BALD EAGLE took off. It was pretty much incredible. I was so shocked I tried to grab my camera. Unfortunately all I got was the eagle as it was flying away.

My outdoors adventure boy thought it was pretty much awesome!
(Gotta love the walking stick, binoculars and bug net in tow)

After that we got into the car and started driving on the dirt roads over to the marshlands. We saw all sorts of ducks, birds, stilt birds and we even saw a beautiful trumpeter swan!


 We watched an osprey circle above us as we were leaving.

On our way home we cut over to Rexburg to enjoy some lunch at Gator Jacks. YUM.

I am such a lucky girl to have my Grandma in my life. We are so spontaneous and random and I absolutely love the adventures go on together and all of these crazy memories we make. I love her so much it makes tears flood my eyes as I type those words. There aren't many people in the world who have such special and tight knit relationships with their Grandmas. She is my angel on earth.


No comments: