I know Staci has been forced to pacify concerned friends and family that her husband has lost his mind, and or religion, for supporting Barack Obama for President. Well, I thought I would take the time to tell you why I am voting for Mr. Obama. I believe Obama is what’s best for our nation, which is facing challenging and confusing times that require even-tempered, clear-minded leadership. When the partisanship of this election finally subsidies, I believe Obama is the man who can reach reasoned conclusions, reach across the political divides, and reach out to the common American. So, please indulge me as I explain:
Intelligence and pragmatism. I have been impressed by the intelligence of Obama’s campaign over the last several months. He continues to make intelligent and measured decisions, a quality I think is important in a confused and conflicted world. Obama carefully and steadily guided his campaign and managed to defeat the “Clinton political juggernaut.” Obama has demonstrated time and time again his ability to identify a weakness in an enemy and attack in measured doses without bravado or stupidity.
I find Obama to be fluent about the problems facing America, and in particular, middle America. The problems we face are enormous and multi-faceted. Obama consistently details workable solutions. Conversely, McCain lays out flat one-liners or purely reactionary responses to Obama’s plans. I have not heard any clear and persuasive solution on his part.
A responsible fiscal policy. I acknowledge that neither candidates’ position is perfect but I have a difficult time ignoring the financial problems in America. The income gap between the haves and have-nots in America is shameful and continues to grow wider and wider. I certainly don’t advocate for a “Robin Hoodesque” rich giving to the poor scheme. Rather, I believe in enriching the poor and the middle classes thereby lifting all. It would be reverse Reganomics . . . “trickle-up” economics if you will. Over the last 50 years the wage gap has increased the most under republican leadership. It causes unrest and hatred in the country. Obama speaks to this and it's important.
Clear and Powerful Leadership. The last month have seen two men fumble and bumble their way to delays in the financial rescue of our country. Mr. Bush gave one heady speech over the radio to the public that was unconvincing and McCain “suspended” his campaign to push himself into the spotlight that ultimately derailed delicate negotiations. We needed a leader to spell out the gravity of the problem before us. We needed someone to convince the American people to act swiftly and courageously in supporting their congressman on passage of a financial rescue that may have been too little too late in stopping a credit freeze that may see us fall into the worst economic times the country has seen since the great depression, it remains to be seen if the bailout will work.
There is something to be said for a Leader who inspires confidence and can communicate effectively with those he or she leads. Obama inspires confidence as was evident when nearly 15,000 people flocked to Taco Bell Arena in Boise, Idaho for a political rally emoting charisma and political rock-star appeal.
Intelligent International Policy. McCain argues that foreign policy is his strong point and that he brings experience to the international arena, unfortunately I don’t believe that he would have any unifying effect in international relations. Obama’s visit to Germany a few months back was inspiring. I believe America holds an important moral ground on the world stage. Bush has tarnished that in large part because he doesn't know how to talk to people coherently. Obama's willingness and ability to inspire through rhetoric and find common ground is what America needs to bolster its tarnished image to the world. I find is scary to think how McCain’s smugness displayed during the debates would resonate during political discussions with the leaders of Iran or North Korea.
American men and women continue to sacrifice their lives abroad and it is maddening. McCain is looking for any excuse possible to stay in Iraq. Any setback and he'll be ramping up our involvement in the name of victory. His rhetoric on this subject frightens me. We need to responsibly hand over control of Iraq to Iraqi's. An intelligent and measured withdrawal is necessary and America must get out as quickly and responsibly as possible.
Yes, I am a practicing, faithful member of the LDS Church and yes, a faithful Mormon can vote Democrat! President Faust, a former apostle of the LDS church, was a democrat. More importantly however, I don’t believe it is productive for a religion to align itself solely with one party. Each fall the standard letter is read from the pulpit stating that the Church does not align itself with any political party.
I recognize that neither candidate is without flaws but I believe a reasoned approach, viewing the totality of the individuals and campaign are required. I certainly disagree with Obama on certain issues, but I find that I agree with his approach and policy and many more. I will not be held hostage by a political party based on discrete issues and abrogate my responsibility to truly judge the candidate by the entirety of their message. Hence, Barack Obama will be receiving my vote on November 4th.
Let’s be honest, I live in Idaho and my vote for Obama counts for little in the big picture. I also realize that many disagree with my position and I wrote this not to convince but to help others understand my position. Please don’t hold my political views against my wife, she had no idea what she was getting into when she married me! J Also, I don’t need you to send me slanted and inaccurate comparisons between the political candidates… I have done me research, hence my writing this piece. Thank you and “good night now!”
12 comments:
Nathan, you just explained all the reasons Barack is getting my vote on November 4th too. I guess that makes TWO votes for Obama in Idaho... We'll see if we even count! Obama 08!
Nate- To be honest, half of that went over my head! But, I admire you for being so informed and knowing WHY you are voting for who you are voting for and not just following the crowd like so many of us do...
I called Max into the room to read your post because he has said he is going that way too. I am still not 100% committed but am hoping for some sort of revelation during the next week. As a member of the LDS Church, I get so many emails from other members who forward crap on about Mr. Obama. Just last week I got one from a former missionary comp quoting Revelations. I couldn't believe the stuff written in the email. I questioned the material sent by her and she hasn't emailed me back. I have wiki'ed so many things to get the truth about what was really said or done (i.e. swearing in on Koran, doesn't pledge allegiance, etc). It's just CRAZY! I think you'll actually be surprised how many SPUDS will agree with you this election. My hunch is, that you won't be the only one. --Julie
Thanks, Nate, for your treatise on all things Obama... at least for now. I agree with you and will be another Idahoan who will be voting for Obama. As a member of a union in my profession/job, I am encouraged by Obama's support for labor unions in general, along with some of his other issues that he has been talking about during his campaign. I think that it is time for a change, just like it was time for a change when a bunch of the Democrats got elected to Congress. I don't agree with some of Obama's plans, but I don't think there is ever such a thing as the perfect candidate these days. As my wife noted, it can be discouraging to see how many people base their decisions on one issue, or even upon heresay spread by word of mouth or the media. Still, it is difficult at the same time to not get a slanted story from almost any source when it comes to politics, so you just have to sort through the rhetoric sometimes yourself. Thanks for your honest two cents. Staci, to you I can only say, if two modern Apostles can be Democrats (Pres. Faust and Elder Oaks is as well I believe) then I'm sure Nate is in good company, and won't be receiving any church discipline for his voting practices. Despite some of the moral failings that seem to plague some Democrats, there are some who are worth putting in office. Just be glad that they have term limits, because Democrat or Republican, they are still politicians...
Thanks for letting me share my two cents.
Max H.
I love how you write Nate. You are just a smart guy whether I agree with you or not. I still have a hard time with the guys church affiliation of 20 years.
The only problem with having a problem with someone's church affiliation is the same as those who would not vote for Romney because he is Mormon. While a religion does shape a person, the religion they are not. For me, it is a big picture view. Get up close there are imperfections but overall I love the direction he wants to bring America.
-Nathan
All this political nonsense is too much...The real determining factor should be based upon who give out th best candyon halloween.
Maybe I will just flip a coin. There are things I respect or like about each and things I really dislike about each. Go figure...perhaps we need a better way to find candidates. I really hate how much money we waste in the process. I can't wait until Tuesday is over.
Nate, Nate, Nate....
Had I only known. J/K I am glad that Amber had me read this post. Although I agree with some of your statements reguarding pulling the lever for a candidate blindly which is what I think to many American end up doing, I have to strongly disagree with your choice of candidates. It is just to bad that for this election we really do not have any really solid options to choose from. However, making the rich poor to make the poor rich will never be a concept that I support. We each have the oportunity to shape our own destiny. Don't get me wrong, those who are truely in need will always have my support. Just not the kind where the government sticks their hands in my pockets and takes whatever they want to fund a bunch of bullcrap programs that are not run well and that are abused to the 100th degree. All of this nonsense is as unconstitutional as it comes. This is not what our founding fathers had in mind at all. When you do actually spend the time researching the ACTUAL relationships the candidates have and ACTUAL numbers reguarding voting histories and stands on current policies you find that just being an effective speaker that draws rockstar crowds is about all that is left. I am also not going to put a "nothing he has to say is worth while" blanket over him. He wouldn't be here in this position if that were the case. However, what we really need is someone to step up to the plate and say what they really think, not what they think we want to hear or what it takes to get elected. So until that day comes I will place (Actually already have placed)my vote for the lesser of two evils. (That being McCain) We will look forward to the time when we can have a Nate Starnes to vote for. Until then I hope you will still invite me out for a ride here and there.
Ben
Nathan;
I am delighted that you feel such a passion to express your thoughts and views on this critical choice. (along with your sister!) As a parent I am happy that my children are independent, thinking, motivated individuals who are grounded in true principals. Like every other person these 2 candidates are imperfect. Thankfully perfection is not a requisite for service to our country, or too many other things. I have 2 concerns with a Democrat Party controlled legislative and executive. The very real probability of liberal morality decisions and a significant changing of the union organizing laws (Employee Choice Act). I also have a concern with a McCain presidency in that we would have another 4 years not of Bush doctrine but of bitter, partisan politics with little to show for it. SO by the end of the day, hopefully there will be no "hanging chads", we will know who gets the opportunity to unite us. Have a great day.
Love,Dad.
Nate- I hope you're happy with yourself big guy! Look what you did now...we are all going to hell! You have brought upon the American people famine, pestilence, despair, and all but the horrible plagues of Ancient Egypt. I'm cashing in on my life insurance policy before it's too late and you're the one to blame Beeee-otch..... -Choade of Steel
Nate you are a nice guy but terribly misinformed. But, I do admire your honesty and I hope you are right about him. At least you are excited about Obama. I wasn't even excited about McCain, but I think he's better qualified for the job. I am affraid Barack Obama will be the worst thing for our country. I am sick that he is our President. I know he will bring change to our country and that is what we need, but I am not certain the change he will bring will be good. I hope I am wrong.
I know that so many people say you can't be a good member of the church and be Democrat and I think that is inane. I do however think there are a lot of uncertaintites with Obama. He isn't the most honest man.
Kristina
Post a Comment