Monday, September 10, 2007

3 strikes and we are OUT

As I watched the news last night and saw the perfect 80 degree forecast I decided that I was going take the boys to the zoo today. We got up and got dressed for the day. I told the boys we were going to do something fun...but it was a surprise! As we get on the freeway, Dallin says, "Mom, I hope we are not going to the zoo." Great. Just what I wanted to hear. So....I decide to go with plan B. We'll head to the Discovery Center today.
Everyone is hungry so we stop in at Pizza Pipeline and get some cheese pizza and drinks. Dallin frantically says, "Mom...I need to go to the bathroom right NOW." I remembered a park a few streets over so we head on over there. The park looks like a perfect place to eat our pizza and then we'll head over to the Discovery Center. As we pull into the parking lot we notice there is only one old car. A scary looking man is sitting in the passenger seat and he is totally starring at us while he smokes his cigarette. Call me paranoid...or whatever...I wasn't feeling good about the situation so we left. Dallin is screaming because he still needs to go to the bathroom. Parker is screaming because he saw the park and now we are driving away from the park. Landon starts screaming because he is getting hungry. Aggggh!
So...I drive down the road a little ways and we find this grassy area with a picnic table. Dallin jumps out and finds a nice big tree trunk to hide behind to take care of business. (One great advantage to having boys!) We start getting out of the van when we are pretty much attacked by meat flies or bees...or whatever those things are called. We all jump back in the van and decide to just have a picnic in the car.
Finally, we are on our way to the Discovery Center. We pull into the parking lot and there are only a few cars. Dallin and Parker are cheering in the background, "O thank you mom...this is our favorite place!" "I remember this fun place with the bubbles and the small grocery store!" We walk up to the door and sure enough....CLOSED. Now that school started they have winter hours. All Mondays are closed.
So much for a super fun day. These weren't the surprises I had in mind. Guess we'll try again on Wednesday.

7 comments:

jayna said...

It's scary how often these days happen for me too...sometimes the stars just don't align! :)How is it with three?? Is it worse than two? I'm scared to go for the third. I don't think we'll ever make it to church on time again if I had to get 3 ready!

Starnes fam said...

Jayna...I will admit that 3 is a little more difficult than 2. Dallin and Parker are just a trial when they are together..that always seems to be the problem. They are just very competitive. If one screams...the other has to scream louder! The baby is easy for now. He just gets toted around from one place to the next. I am dreading the day when they will all be running 3 different directions! As for church...we just tell ourselves church starts at 11:00 (even though it starts at 11:30!) We usually make it on time when we use that approach! haha

Joe and Amy said...

Oh, I am sorry about your day! That would be frustrating! It sounds like there are some fun places to visit there in Boise though!

Joe and Amy said...

BTW -Love the music!

Stephanie said...

Sigh...this post seems all too familiar to me... I am always starting out with one idea and then having to change it on the fly-Much to the dismay of my 5 yr. old...I am sorry things were not easier for you!

jayna said...

Thanks for the heads up- you've confirmed my suspicions that real life starts with THREE kids! :)Keep up the good work!

Reno 411 said...

What a bummer! I don't like days like that. You always have a good attitude about things though.