Today was a rough day for my Dally boy. Dallin is such a sweet yet tenderhearted guy. He is so smart, and dedicated to whatever he puts his mind to. He is a TOTAL overachiever and sometimes even a perfectionist...always has been even since he was tiny. He is confident, kind, and non judgemental towards others yet he tends to be pretty critical of himself. He has high expectations for himself and I love that about him but today my strong boy fell to pieces.
Today was the day he had been looking forward to for over a month. He has worked SO hard on his science words for the 2nd grade spelling bee. He knew all of those words front and back and knew he had the bee in the bag. Differentiate, comprehension, experimental, expository, he was spelling all of the words in his sleep.
He made it through the first round and then they started using some words that were not on the spelling list that Dallin had studied. There were 2 lists...the easier words and the more difficult words. Dallin had only been given the difficult words to study so he hadn't even seen the easier list. His next word was "RESPONSE."
R-E-S-P-O-N-C-E. Incorrect.
He was heartbroken. Especially when the kids that continued were asked to spell all of the hard words that he had studied. They missed words right and left and Dallin knew ALL of them. He started to sob. We told him over and over that it didn't matter and that we were incredibly proud of him.
I couldn't help it. Even though school wasn't over for another 2 hours I scooped up that broken hearted 2nd grader and took him home. We've had cake, ice cream, and watched movies all afternoon. Yeah, he has to grow up and there will be much heartache to endure through the years but he is STILL my baby. And for now, if I can ease one little heartache...I will.
And I bet he won't EVER forget how to spell RESPONSE from this day forward!
7 comments:
I seriously got teary reading this! Tell Dallin we love him!
I'm teary too! He is so sweet, and you are a great mom! Love youz guyz! Good luck on your next Bee Little Man.
That breaks my heart, good for you for taking him home. We all know he would have one, that boy is the smartest cookie in the bunch, that's for sure.
I am heartbroken too. He is too sweet. Let him know we think he is terrific and love him to pieces
Gma Lee
Oh, that's sad. Disappointments are hard, but so good for them at the same time. Brynn took second place in the second grade spelling B and was beat out by a little boy in our ward who has a crush on her. :) I like to think that these little ones will buffer them for the big ones that will inevitably come. :)
Oh my gosh, that is so sad! Don't you feel like with your first child, you feel the same pain as they do, and want to shelter them a little more? I do. That makes me want to hug the little guy! He is so adorable!
Ohh... poor Dallin! He has always been such a smartie pants- that must have been rough! Give him a squeeze for us. We miss you guys!!!
Post a Comment