Friday, March 5, 2010

Stress

I used to think I knew what stress was. Stress was raising 3 boys, taking care of a house, car problems, trying to keep up with my calling, keeping my family fed, getting my kids to their various activities, and feeling overwhelmed from time to time with my roles as a wife and a mom.

Over the last 3 months I have experienced new level of stress. This is the kind of stress that keeps me from sleeping at night, robs me of my motivation, hurts me when I wake up in the morning. It has made me cry almost every day and has taken my anxiety level through the roof.

My husband is losing his job. He has 7 days left until he is officially unemployed.

And you know what? I can't do anything about it. I can't fix the problem. Me stressing about it isn't going to make it go away. I can't keep living in the past and wishing so badly to know the future all while I am missing today. I'm neglecting MY job, MY responsibilities all because of something that I can't control.

Tonight I am priorotizing. I am setting down the burdens that have weighed so heavily on me for the past few months and I am going to step back and see what I CAN do. I'm refocusing on making sure that things are straight in my own home and in my soul. Then I fold my two arms and kneel on my two knees and use my one brain and one heart to call for help. I will put my burdens down at the feet of one greater than I. And I will rest my heart knowing ...I am not alone.

12 comments:

Reno 411 said...

My dad would always give me the advice "Why pray when you can worry." It sounds like you know what to do. However, I will keep you in my prayers. I only hope that if I am faced with trials such as this I will be like you. You are amazing, and I am blessed to have a friend like you to teach me something.

Joe and Amy said...

Oh Staci, I am so sorry! I too have felt tremendous stress with the changes in our life. Though my stress was under different circumstances, I can relate with the sleepless nights, worry, and anxiety about whether we were doing the right thing by deciding to join a new company. I also related to the feeling of not being able to do my job of wife and mom because of all the stress and details to prepare. You are so wise to notice so soon. I was full blown ornery and mean before I did, it wasn't fun being me. I am so impressed with your perspective. I can tell you are filled with faith. You will be in my prayers. Love, Amy

Jami said...

FAR from alone!!!!! I think very few people have NOT been in those shoes. Keep the faith and things will work out. It took us for a wild ride but a year and half later I can honestly say we are so much stronger and so many doors have opened, we are getting to make choices on which road to now take - and the best part is they all have sunshine as I look down each one. We are thinking of you and praying for you Stac. You are so strong inside and out and to take it head on now will make it that much better. nate will appreciate too and it will allow him the strength to fight on. Please dont hesitate to get a hold of me. xoxo

Logan and Kelsey said...

Staci, you are an amazing woman. We're praying for you and fasting for you. We love all of you and know something will come along. -Logan and Kelsey

Erin said...

oh staci, I am so sorry. We will definitely keep you and Nate in our prayers. My sister and her husband just went through the unemployment thing for about 9 months. It was a hard road but it turned out great in the end. If anyone can handle this, I know that you and nate CAN!

Marie said...

Sheesh--you just sent my little stresses/pity party crawling in shame! I can't believe you've been bearing it quietly for so long. And yet, you both are SO AMAZING, great things are bound to come, and you're definitely moving forward in the best way possible. Still, in the meantime, we'll be thinking of and praying for you.

The Pitcher Family said...

Beautifully said and a wonderful reminder to all about laying our burdens down and doing what we each can do. We love you all and you are in our prayers.

Amber said...

You are amazing, sorry for your trials. Remember when after a storm a beautiful RAINBOW appears. You are in my thoughts and prayers:)

Abby Stimpson said...

Stac you and your sweet little family are amazing! My heart aches for you during this time of trial. You are in my thoughts and prayers and if ever you need anything...please please please know that I am here. You have been such a fantastic friend to me and I really do love and appreciate you!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing Stac. You have a great way with words, in addition to all your other gifts. I do not know what is in store for you all but I am believing it is for your good, that this will all be a part of your best life possible. Love you!

Mrs.Garofoli said...

Staci-
You wrote that blog magically because I too feel a similar feeling. I am so sorry about Nate and his job loss. He is well qualified and will surely find another one soon. Chris and I have been really sweating the fact that we will have three children and no time to ourselves. I am also watching another baby, which brings in great money but takes a huge toll on my mental state at times. You know we are all here for you even though I am miles and miles away. Thank goodness that you live close to your family and they are so loving and supportive through this challenging time.
Love ya!
Kali

Stephanie said...

Staci I can't believe it's been so long since I've checked your blog. I hope that something comes along very soon. I am sorry. Can I just tell you how much you inspire me? Your perspective is phenomenal. Thank you for being a wonderful friend. We'll be praying for your family as well.