Saturday, February 7, 2009

A new Staci


I admit, I used to be one of those people who made fun of coupon clippers. When we first moved back to Boise I remember hanging out with some girls from my ward and all of them brought their ads and were comparing prices from store to store. I came home and told my husband I didn't think I would fit in well here at all. It was just too much work and too inconvenient to actually have to research and plan ahead so much.

Well, a couple of years have gone by since then and with the way the economy is (and with the encouragement of my friends) I decided that I need to do what I can to help my family and my husband out. I guess I have finally "come to the light" with this whole thing. And guess what...I actually really like it!

I have been easing into this process gradually. We went crazy at Albertsons diaper sale last month. The Pampers diapers came up to less than $5 a package. Last week's major steal was from Albertsons as well. I was able to get 4 bags of Goldfish crackers, a box of popcorn and a Healthy Choice Dinner for $1.96. It was kind of a rush getting a bag of groceries for next to nothing. I was also able to cut about $20 off of my usual grocery shopping bill just by planning my meals around what was on sale and using my coupons from online and in the newspaper. At night I have been dreaming about printing online coupons for the past week. Very strange...I know.

Nate thinks I have gone a little nuts but he's not complaining...its a new day baby!


P.S. Which way do you prefer to pronounce it “coo-pon” or “cue-pon”? Just wondering.


11 comments:

The Reading Armadillo said...

I've never clipped coupons before, but I think I'll try it now. Anything to save a little money at the dreaded cash register these days. Do you get all your coupons on line?

Oh, and I pronounce it coo-pon... for the record.

Starnes fam said...

No...I get mine from the newspaper AND the internet. If you click on the Krazy Coupon Lady link on my "fun blogs" section you can find all of the BEST online coupon sites! Check it out! Happy couponing!

Jamie and Lindsey said...

That's awesome, I used to be better but I've gotten kind of lazy now. You'll have to tell me the next time you get a good deal, I missed both of those last two. Do you buy more than one Sunday paper? Also, the online coupons only work at Albertsons right?

I pronounce it coo-pon for the record.

Emily said...

Staci,

I hope you don't mind that I'm reading your blog! I'm Emily from Krazy Coupon Lady and just wanted to say "Welcome to the coupon world" I hope it continues to go well for you!! Keep it up! And yes, I dream about coupons too!! (I pronounce it Q pon)Again, I hope you don't mind I left a message!

Sarah M said...

I love coupons too, and there's a girl who shows how to organize coupons, and the best way to shop. It's awesome. I do however need help on planning my meals around what's on sale. I'm not that great at that! Way to go.

Lee Starnes said...

maybe I will have to start again. I used to save a lot on "Coo-pons".

tatum said...

on no....you got the bug! me too actually, i started 2 months ago and i can't be stopped. i was the same, i can't believe i'm a coupon mom now, but i too have dreams of the next big deal....no lie, i am addicted to my free and next to nothing deals. isn't it so cool to know you can control you money, and your not getting ripped off anymore. i'll never go back, even if i do get into a better financial place. send me your good deals. i'm so glad your doing it too.

Reno 411 said...

Cue pon.
You are so funny. I think saving money is smart. You'll have to give me some pointers. It is so gratifying to get sometyhing for nothing.

Busy Lady said...

I pronounce it coo-pon myself and I am a coupon clipper and an ad follower. You do what you can to help out the family budget with the economy the way it is every little bit helps. Good for you for trying your hand at it even with your husband thinking you have lost your mind. Getting a good deal is a true rush!!

Shelley said...

It's TOTALLY COOPONING (or is it? Now I'm questioning myself!) ;) It was fun for seeing you for a quick minute during our "outing" this morning! There were kids flying everywhere so I didn't get to chat with you much! Kinda stressful this whole couponing thing,..but TOTALLY worth it! :) And don't worry,..I dream in coupons too. Let's go together again sometime soon! :)

becky gomez said...

Coo-pon here too... Was I one of those crazy coupon ladies that you were talking about??? That's awesome you are doing it now... I admit I've gotten a bit lazy and love costco now though... I need to start up again, because prices are crazy, but milk it $1.50 a gal at costco!!!