Monday, January 14, 2008

My teeth are evil and I hate them.

And judging by their behavior, they hate me right back.
I would like to begin this post with a disclaimer. I am not some disgusting person who does not take proper care of her teeth. I brush and floss religiously. I just have BAD teeth. If I ever wind up on a deserted island, I’ll be knocking a tooth out with an ice skate, just like Tom Hanks in Castaway.
Why am I so cursed? Well...I think it has to do with the fact that I inherited my dad's teeth. He has had all sorts of issues yet my mom has had ONE cavity in her whole life. NOT FAIR! My husband who I love and adore doesn't spend nearly the amount of time I do on brushing, flossing and rinsing with Listerine yet he has NO cavities. What is up with this? I am sure being pregnant 3 out of the last 5 years has not helped one bit.
So today, I went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned. I get them cleaned every 6 months just like I am supposed to. I don't have any serious issues but the time has come to replace some of my old fillings that are on their last leg. They are called "overlays." It didn't sound too threatening until the woman at the front desk said they are similar to crowns and I need 3 of them. Insurance covers 50% so that leaves me with a $1200 balance.
Grrrrrrrr. I REALLY hope my boys inherit their father's teeth or we'll need to start a "tooth" fund along with the mission and college funds.

11 comments:

Reno 411 said...

I am the same way. Paul is not as anal about his teeth as I am. He got his first cavity at 27 and it was teeny. I, on the other hand floss and brush all the time. I have lots of fillings and a crown. I know that genetically you can get bad teeth. I am sorry about the work you need done. It's frustrating and expensive.

Stephanie said...

It's genetic. A friend of mine down here has a little boy Brendan's age who just had to have two teeth removed, four cavities filled, and two root canals! Poor kid-they ended up going to Mexico because it is cheaper there (they didn't have insurance). Anyways She has bad teeth too- our dentist said that it is a genetic factor.

You really are going to hate me by the end of this comment... Scott has always been super good about taking care of his teeth, brushing and flossing, and rinsing, and he STILL gets cavities. I on the other hand get a little lazy...If I fall asleep on the couch-I am not going to be brushing my teeth that night! I hate to admit, but my first cavity I EVER had was after I had Brendan...and it was only one....and again only one after I had Emma J...All of my brothers have never had cavities until after they came home from their missions and even then...only surface ones that are easily fixed...It's Genetic. (that and fluoride- my parents' dentist when we were kids told my parents to give us fluoride as we were growing and developing teeth...He said it really does make a difference, and will save you tons of money on dental expenses down the road...)

janet said...

I hate teeth too. Mine don't have as many problems as Ben does and I feel bad. he was just born with bad teeth. I thought I was being such a great mom taking him to the dentist before 3 years old.. not the case. He had 11 cavities his first visit and they had to cap all his back teeth. I felt so bad for him, but we have always brushed and flossed and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Luke on the other hand hardly ever flosses and hasn't had a cavity yet. I don't get it. I need to bump up the fluoride in my home though.

Having a job and a paycheck is really nice, but I wish we didn't have to pay for our own medical bills. Living off the government wasn't so bad afterall..

Anyway, sorry and good luck!

Starnes fam said...

Poor Ben and poor kid that you know Steph! That would be so hard...especially for being so young! I am lucky that so far my kids have been in the clear with cavities. I am pretty surprised that they don't have any due to the love they have for CANDY!

Erin said...

I remember when you had a horrible toothache freshman year and had to have some kind of emergency work done! Poor Staci!

Katie said...

I have the same curse! And I know Jolie has my teeth already. She has had 2 cavities and more on the way the doc says. Ahhh! It is the worst. With my last pregnancy I had to have a tooth pulled! I felt like an old man. And I take care of my teeth too!

The Pitcher Family said...

OUch 1200 bones that makes one want to cry! Plus just visiting the dentist makes me want to cry.

Ash and Shane said...

Sorry Stac, I can't really empathize with you, I hate to floss so I don't, and who needs mouth wash. Shane is just like you, he spends lots of time cleaning his teeth, he even avoids candy and he's the one with the cavities not me. However I hate the eye doctor way more than the dentist and my eyes always seem to get worse everytime I go.
I do have to agree with the flouride, boy were they yucky little pink pills but worth it and when I was younger the dentist put this sealant on my teeth to protect them and it lasted until well into college so I think both helped a lot.

Lindsey said...

All you have to do is read Ash's comments above this to know that the the "bad teeth" thing, really is a curse. I got those same sealants...didn't do anything for me. Then again, I have don't have contacts like Ash. She got my dad's teeth and eyes and I got my mom's.

It's not fair, Brett has never had a cavity either.

Have you already had all this work done? It might be worth it to get a 2nd opinion. And, you can usually space out the crowns. I got one last year, and I'm getting another in Feb.

Starnes fam said...

Yeah....we have a good friend in the ward who is a dentist. I am going to ask him if he can do it for any less. He is looking for a little legal work...maybe was can do a little trade...haha! Sorry Linds....we just got the bad end of the deal!

Allison said...

I have evil teeth too. I had lots of cavities growing up, but after having the twins I had the shock of my life when I went in for my routine checkup like I always did every six months. I had 17 cavities!!!!! I was horrified. My mouth hurt for a long time after getting all the work done. I have also had several cavities filled the nine years since as well as two crowns. My dentist says that being pregnant can really ruin your teeth. Add that to teeth that are already genetically weak and you have a disaster!