
It was the late spring of the year 2000. I was hanging out with a guy named Nathan Starnes. I thought we were just good friends....he was hoping for more.
ARLOA ORWIN WHITAKER
Arloa Orwin Whitaker St. George, UT Arloa Orwin Whitaker passed away on Monday, September 7, 2009 in St. George, Utah at the Dixie Regional Medical Center.Arloa was born on May 6, 1927 in Long Beach, CA. She was raised in Brigham City, Utah by Sadie and Will Barnard and graduated from Box Elder High School in 1945. Arloa was noticed by Darwin while she was walking down Main Street in Brigham City after his return from military service in the Pacific. She and Darwin began dating while she attended Brigham Young University and Darwin attended the University of Utah. They were married in the Logan, Utah Temple on March 21, 1947. After Darwin's graduation from the University of Utah, his profession took their young family from Utah, to Idaho, to Colorado, to Texas and back to Utah, where Darwin later retired. Retirement was short lived as Arloa and Darwin were called to serve a full time mission in the Singapore Asia Mission from 1989 to 1991. Arloa and Darwin moved to St. George, Utah in 1993. She loved her days in St. George with her many dear friends at Meadow Creek Senior Community. Arloa was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints and served in many callings and capacities. She is and was known for her unwavering compassion and care of all those she knew and served. Her life was a life of service to others. Arloa loved the outdoors and enjoyed spending many happy hours at the family's cabin east of Park City, Utah. She loved the family reunions held at the cabin and the time spent with her grandchildren and great grandchildren doing crafts and watching the deer and hummingbirds. It was a little bit of heaven on earth to her. Arloa is survived by her husband of 62 years and five children: Suzan (Dr. Gary Strobel, Bozeman, MT), Barry (Beth Whitaker, Spanish Fork, UT), Lee Ann (Richard Starnes, Highland, UT), Brian (Becky Whitaker, Las Vegas, NV) and Brent (Marisa Whitaker, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA). She leaves behind 18 grandchildren, 19 great-grandchildren, her beloved sister, Sue Zundel, of Fallbrook, CA, and a legacy that will not be forgotten. The Whitaker Family would like to express their appreciation to all those who provided care and support to Arloa at the Dixie Regional Medical Center and Red Cliffs' Care and Rehabilitation Center. Your kindness did not pass without notice. Funeral services will be held Friday, September 11, 2009 at 11:00 a.m.
He invited me up to his family cabin to meet his grandparents. The day I met Darwin and Arloa Whitaker honestly changed my life forever. I was absolutely in awe of the way the two of them interacted. I had never seen two people more in love or more genuinely concerned about the other. Grandma was constantly making sure Grandpa had enough to eat. Grandpa would ask if Grandma needed anything..a pillow, a blanket, a drink, help cleaning up the kitchen, etc. She called him "Daddy." He called her "Darling."
I had never seen anything like this in my life. They were honestly life-long honeymooners. This was no act.....this is how they really were ALL of the time. It was the sweetest thing I had ever seen.
I distinctly remember thinking to myself....I WANT that. I wasn't so sure that this "good friend" of mine was going to be my "Darwin" but I wanted a marriage and a kind of love that was patterned after this adorable little couple. (Little did I know at the time he was right in front of my face.)
Grandma Whitaker made me feel apart of the family from day one. She was always interested in what was going on in my life. She made each family member feel like they were the most special to her. She always had to be doing something. She was constantly cooking, cleaning, organizing, sewing, reading, keeping BUSY. She always put me to work and I liked that. She would hand me the lettuce or potatoes and tell me to start chopping. She would send Nate off to chop wood or help Grandpa complete some chore. She was also quite the little gamer. Her sweet little disposition would turn to vicious competitor once we started a game of double twelves. She always had a sneaky way of making you feel guilty if you didn't help her out. She was funny.
Grandma always told me she loved me. She did that with everyone. She would look me in the eyes and tell me I was a good mom, a beautiful person, a wonderful wife. She always lifted everyone around her. She was such an example of service. She was one of the most compassionate and selfless people I have ever known. I am eternally grateful for the 9 years I had the privilege of knowing her. She was a great cook, a classy and beautiful woman, and had a very strong testimony of the gospel. How blessed I am to know that we will see her again. She will be very missed.
ARLOA ORWIN WHITAKER
Arloa Orwin Whitaker St. George, UT Arloa Orwin Whitaker passed away on Monday, September 7, 2009 in St. George, Utah at the Dixie Regional Medical Center.Arloa was born on May 6, 1927 in Long Beach, CA. She was raised in Brigham City, Utah by Sadie and Will Barnard and graduated from Box Elder High School in 1945. Arloa was noticed by Darwin while she was walking down Main Street in Brigham City after his return from military service in the Pacific. She and Darwin began dating while she attended Brigham Young University and Darwin attended the University of Utah. They were married in the Logan, Utah Temple on March 21, 1947. After Darwin's graduation from the University of Utah, his profession took their young family from Utah, to Idaho, to Colorado, to Texas and back to Utah, where Darwin later retired. Retirement was short lived as Arloa and Darwin were called to serve a full time mission in the Singapore Asia Mission from 1989 to 1991. Arloa and Darwin moved to St. George, Utah in 1993. She loved her days in St. George with her many dear friends at Meadow Creek Senior Community. Arloa was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints and served in many callings and capacities. She is and was known for her unwavering compassion and care of all those she knew and served. Her life was a life of service to others. Arloa loved the outdoors and enjoyed spending many happy hours at the family's cabin east of Park City, Utah. She loved the family reunions held at the cabin and the time spent with her grandchildren and great grandchildren doing crafts and watching the deer and hummingbirds. It was a little bit of heaven on earth to her. Arloa is survived by her husband of 62 years and five children: Suzan (Dr. Gary Strobel, Bozeman, MT), Barry (Beth Whitaker, Spanish Fork, UT), Lee Ann (Richard Starnes, Highland, UT), Brian (Becky Whitaker, Las Vegas, NV) and Brent (Marisa Whitaker, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA). She leaves behind 18 grandchildren, 19 great-grandchildren, her beloved sister, Sue Zundel, of Fallbrook, CA, and a legacy that will not be forgotten. The Whitaker Family would like to express their appreciation to all those who provided care and support to Arloa at the Dixie Regional Medical Center and Red Cliffs' Care and Rehabilitation Center. Your kindness did not pass without notice. Funeral services will be held Friday, September 11, 2009 at 11:00 a.m.
5 comments:
I totally feel this way about Grandma and Grandpa's relationship. They were such a great example of a celestial marriage.
Stac, what wonderful things to say about your grandma. She will be missed very much.
Staci:
Thank you for those wonderful thoughts. No question we have all been changed by Grandma.
I'm sorry for your family's loss, Staci. I've found too that I love my married grandparents just as much as my own. It's hard to lose them-especially when they are such wonderful people.
I'm so sorry for your loss. My mom talked to Beth the other day and she mentioned the family didn't know what they were going to do without her. She sounds like a sweetheart.
Post a Comment