Today was back to school registration day!
Before we headed over to the school the boys told me they wanted to ride their bikes to registration. I had a bad feeling about it. The school is across 17th street which is a REALLY busy road and the sidewalks in the neighborhood don't connect from the road to the sidewalk if that makes any sense. You have to ride through some grass to get back on the sidewalk from the road. Whoever designed the sidewalks was obviously a complete idiot.
"PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MOM! YOU NEVER EVER LET US RIDE OVER THERE!"
"So and SO ALWAYS rides his bike to school."
"It's ONLY one MILE away!"
After much moaning and groaning I finally cave in and decide that I will FOLLOW the boys over to the school in my car....just in case something happens.
So we're off. I keep trying to tell the boys to get ON THE SIDEWALK but instead they all decided to follow behind me. I pull over, stop all of the cars behind me and the oncoming cars to lecture my kids. Just as I am midway through my lecture a COP drives by.
After I make sure the kids cross 17th safely the cop pulls up next to me and asks me if everything is ok. "Yes, officer...everything is FINE." I'm so embarrassed I am BEET red. The cop drives off after making sure I'm not a crazy abusive parent. Then Dallin decides to ride through some HUGE river rocks. He starts over the rocks and goes FLYING off of his bike and cracks his helmet. Thank heavens he is okay.
We press on. Little Landon's legs are going a million miles an hour trying to keep up with his brothers. He goes so fast that one of his training wheels just falls off. Landon tips over. Tears and scratches. I load both he and his bike into the car.
Parker thinks this is the most awesome thing in the world to ride his bike to school until he tries to get up onto the next sidewalk. He drives through the grass but can't see how big of an edge is actually along the sidewalk. He goes flying off the bike as he catches the edge and goes soaring into the grass and is then RUN OVER by Dallin who is riding closely behind him. Awesome. Parker and bike loaded into car.
3 injuries, one cop, one broken helmet, THIS is why we just drive to school.
7 comments:
You know I think it must be the day or something cause our bike trip today was not too fun either.
Oh my gosh- I am laughing. The getting ran over by the brother did me in. (Although I'm glad all lived to tell the tale!)
Haha! I had to read it out loud to Robby. Glad everyone is ok. Thanks for the laugh.
I am so glad they weren't hurt but I had to laugh out loud. Love being a parent! Lee
New Post! New Post! New Post! New Post! Yep, that's right, I'm blog stocking you, and for the last few days I have NO idea what you have been up to! :-) New Post!
Haha...my sentiments exactly!!!! Matt always think a family bike ride would be SO fun...BOO! I am reading this to him.
Staci, sorry this comment is so after the fact; I'm just catching up on blogs afer a long hiatus. This is hilarious! Although I'm sure it wasn't at the time :) The boys following you had me cracking up, then the cop,and so on. I'm glad you have the incident documented!
Now I'm off to catch up on more of your blog.
Love,
Allison
Post a Comment