
Grandma EE (my Grandma) is so much fun. I am so lucky to have her in my life. She is always ready for an adventure at the drop of a hat. Last year while reading through a Family Fun magazine, I came across a little day trip idea. It was all about this little old ghost town called Silver City, Idaho. I called EE and told her all about it because I knew that this was something that she would love to see.
We took off this morning about 9am. We packed water and a few snacks and with our MapQuest map in hand we were ready to go we hit the road. The first 50 miles of the drive were no big deal then we hit the windy dirt road. It was the LONGEST 15 miles of our lives. We were driving on a one lane road up a scary ledge and we had yet to see one other vehicle ANYWHERE. After driving by the sign that said, "Warning, you are accountable for all fees associated with search and rescue beyond this point" I decided to check and see if we at least had cell service. :) Luckily we were good.
About halfway up the mountain we ran into quite a site. A SWARM of Mormon Crickets. That little bug that climbed into Nate's ear the other day was NOTHING compared to these gigantic monsters. The boys were LOVING it. They were laughing and screaming that this was the BEST day of their lives. The crickets were literally 4 inches long. We just plowed right through them with the car...crunching right along. (chill up the spine)

Two hours later we finally arrived in the city. Unfortunately the little hotel that we were planning on having lunch in was closed. Silver City IS a ghost town but there are a couple of little shops that are opened in the summer...but only on the weekends. So we just poked around and looked at some of the old buildings. There was a really cool old church, school house, general store and other little homes that have been around since the 1800s. We threw rocks in the stream and ate our snacks before we left to head back home.




We stopped in Kuna at the BEST little Mexican restaurant on the way home. Immediately after lunch we stopped at the car wash to get all of the bug guts off! It was disgusting.
What a fun day!
1 comment:
*shivers* Nasty crickets!
That reminds me of the time I was on a road trip and approached a big fuzzy black cloud right in the middle of the road. I decided I had to brace my self and drive through it. It ended up being a gigantic swarm of bees. I still get shivers thinking about those bees crunching and popping their guts all over my windshield.
Post a Comment