Monday, December 3, 2007

Party Pooper



Alright...so I don't mean to complain about things that REALLY don't matter in the large scheme of things but today I am feeling a little annoyed.
It seems like lately I can't walk into church or even around my neighborhood without someone trying to sell me something. I will meet someone and 2 seconds later they are whipping out the Mary Kay card or inviting me over to the Pampered Chef party. This seems to happen more and more now that Nathan is an "official attorney." I assume people think we have ALL this money to spend on random things which couldn't be possibly further then the truth! (ESPECIALLY during the holiday season!) After the mortgage and the loan payments go off...there just isn't much left! I have received 3 YES 3 invitations to these "parties" in the last WEEK. I get countless invites to these "spa parties," "girls nights," "candle parties" or "jewelry parties." Sometimes I wonder why people don't just come right out and say, "Hey..I have signed up to sell some stuff and I am trying to make some money off my friends and family. Can you write me a check for $25 and I won't waste your time." Honestly....if I needed some makeup or a new candle...I don't really see the need to order it from someone...specially when everything seems WAY overpriced. I never know what to do...go to the party and just buy something...or don't go and hurt someones feelings. Is there such a thing as being friends and neighbors without having any strings attached anymore?
SO...there is my random rant for the day. If you sell any of this stuff you'll have to forgive me!

10 comments:

Reno 411 said...

I am sorry but that is so funny. I agree with you. However, I haven't been invited to a ton of parites. Thanks Goodness! If I did I just wouldn't go to them. I tell people I have a sister who sells Mary Kay and and Aunt who sells Pampered Chef. That really is true. But honestly Staci, if you can't afford it or don't want to go then don't. If people won't be your friend because you won't buy something from them, then do you really want them as a friend?

Jami said...

I will never invite you to one :) I may stick mariah on you for cheer fundraisers though, how can you say no to her face?!! haha, j/k. luckily everyone i know is also too poor.

Starnes fam said...

True true. I guess I am just a self proclaimed people pleaser. I always think to myself...well if I DID have a party...I would want people to come. Even though..I would probably never have one.
And..its not like I NEVER want to go to another one...its just that I have had SO MANY as of late! I feel like EVERY time I even talk to someone I get hit up with the sales pitch!

Stephanie said...

I SO know what you mean. I had a friend drop off a catalog for toys because I missed the party, (haven't seen the company before) and she had filled out an order form for me and left it with the catalog...I just think this is a little too presumptious...I sometimes LOVE ordering these kinds of things, but at others HATE having to say no or hurt others too...I'll agree three in a week is overbearing...especially if the people throwing the parties all run in the same circles!

janet said...

Great post! Just say it like it is! I went to a Pampered Chef party last week and spent over $100. I don't know how it happened... but apparently, I felt like pampering myself. Merry Christmas to my kitchen.

So, my advice is to stay away all together. those parties can be dangerous for your pocketbook.

The Reading Armadillo said...

Staci, I can totally empathize with your situation. Sometimes I go to the parties, but then don't buy a thing. It probably makes them mad, but there's no rule that says you have to spend your money.

Erin said...

I usually go to the parties, plan on not buying anything, and expect delicious food if I am going to spend my time there. That's what really erks me, when I give up precious time when the kids are asleep, go to a party, and all there is to offer is a measly plate of cookies!

Starnes fam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Starnes fam said...

It is so great to hear that there are lots of other people who feel the same way I do! Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Brittany and Clayton said...

I've been meaning to tell you guys, I know a great alarm you guys need for your house, it includes fire protection, and I know a guy that can get it for you for CHEAp......hahaha jk.