Happy Birthday to my BIG Dallin! 9 years old.....seriously? This mom (finger pointing at self) is having a tough time transitioning. We spend years and years as mothers caring completely for our infants/toddlers, and then we have to learn to let go a little bit at a time as they grow. It’s not easy, but I am grateful that it is a process… line upon line; a little here, a little there. I'm proud of the boy that Dallin has become. Even though I have this crazy person desire to keep him young and innocent forever, I know he has to grow up.
Dallin has made being a mom such a joy. He is SO easy going and thoughtful. I asked him last night what he wanted for his birthday. His response, "Well, I haven't really thought about it too much. I don't really think I need anything." What???? When I was 9 I'm pretty sure I had a list to the floor of all of things I wanted/needed/desired! Finally after MUCH contemplation he finally said, "Well, there is one thing I want. It's called a fyrflyz toy." I jumped in the car and headed straight for Toys R Us. I asked the customer service lady for whatever the heck this toy is and she told me that she had never heard of it. She then told me that there was nothing by that name in her computer and to go and look elsewhere.
NOPE. I. DON'T. THINK. SO. That wasn't the response I was looking for. I started going up and down EACH isle looking for this toy. After about 15 minutes of searching one of the managers came over and said, "O GOOD! You came back! We found some in the back for you!" My response, "Um, NOPE, I never left! I wasn't leaving without this STUPID toy! This is the ONLY thing my son wants for his birthday. My son, the boy who never asks for ANYTHING was getting this toy if it killed me.
$8.99. That is how much this toy was. And Dallin is THRILLED. I bought him a few.
Last week I got a phone call from Dallin's new teacher. It was a weeknight at around 6 pm. "Hi Staci, This is Mr. Judy. I just wanted to call and talk to you a little bit about Dallin and how his first few weeks of school are going. Dallin is a pretty amazing kid. I've been VERY impressed with him and I continue to be more impressed the more I get to know him. He is very thoughtful, helpful and kind.He is a social leader, and the most academically advanced student in our class. I am so happy that he is in my class and I want to thank you for all that you have done to prepare him for 3rd grade."
Wow. Now I REFUSE to take the credit for all of the kind things that Mr. Judy said, because Dallin has ALWAYS possessed these qualities. Even when he was a tiny boy. I am so blessed to have Dallin as my son, especially as a FIRST BORN son.
Tonight as a family we went back through some old tapes and watched Dallin as a brand new baby. I tried to conceal my tears. So many precious memories. It really goes by in an instant. My favorite clip was when I was laying in the hospital bed with Dallin right up next to me. You can see in my eyes how in love I was from the moment I saw this sweet guy. Nate was just beaming in the background. Thanks for making us parents Dallin. And thanks for being you and making it so easy on us. We LOVE you!
Birthday Party is tomorrow night so pictures are coming soon!
4 comments:
Wow 9 I can't believe it! Happy Birthday Dallin:) We all miss you so much!
Happy 9th Birthday Dallin!!!!! from Spencer
Love you Dally-Boy! Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday Dallin!!!! You are growing up so fast! We miss you guys!
Post a Comment