Monday, August 30, 2010

Back to School

Last week I thought I was 100% READY for my boys to go back to school but as I lay in bed this morning and listened to Parker and Dallin making their beds and getting their school clothes on I felt that little heartache that creeps in as I realized we have made it to yet another big milestone.

 We've made the most of this summer. We've played hard. We've worked hard. We've found a new appreciation for one another as we have had to rely on each other a little more being on our own in a new city. I'm grateful for boys who love each other. Boys who go to a friends house for a play date but decide that after an hour they need to come back home because they miss each other a little too much. I love these boys. I'm so grateful they are mine.

We're pretty lucky. Dallin had been going to a math and science school over in Boise. We found out when we moved that a brand new math and science school was being built less then a mile from our house. I met the principal and put us on the waiting list hoping that things would work out. We got a call 2 days later saying that both boys were in! It is a beautiful school. How neat to get to get to attend a school with a brand new library, new desks, new books, where NO ONE is the new kid! They are ALL the new kids! I chalk it up to yet another little tender mercy.

Dallin has been counting down the days to start school. He absolutely loves learning and he has a great teacher. She's been teaching for over 30 years!
Parker decided that he wanted to snuggle up with me yesterday after church. I asked him what he was thinking about. His response: "I'm just thinking about school. I am SO EXCITED to go mom!"
For a split second I saw this little face:

"That's nice Parker, but you are WAY too young to go to school!" is what I was thinking. It is crazy that my Parker is old enough for school but I know that he is ready! I'm thrilled for him. It was so much fun watching the excitement in his eyes as he put his backpack on and headed out to the car.

And so begins another school year! I'm excited for routines, alone time with Landon, and a clean house for a few hours a day!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I can't believe P is in kindergarten. He will do so great! I sure love those boys.

Em and Tom said...

Tearing up over here!

jayna said...

What will we do with just one kiddo home for half of every day?! What sweet cute boys you've got- and that is so awesome about the magnet school miracle!